The Train ride wasn't bad, had two seats to myself and a 110v plug so I was good to go! Funny thing about this train, it's time for the snowbirds to go back north. So, all of them are on this train!! The Geezer Express! I had my iPad and some Benadryl, so after Django Unchained I drank some Baileys and took two Benadryl.... I was out like a light..
The next morning we pulled into Lorton VA about 8:30... An hour early! Whoo Hoooo!
The Amtrak guys unloaded the 5 bikes off the train with a little John Deer tractor... Pictured below. It's just pretty cool how they do it..
A little chilly here in VA.. I put my leathers on!!! Forecast is 80% rain for later, better enjoy the ride while I can.
I took off about 9:30, headed for Wheeling WV. It's about 288 miles, with stops for gas and one stop for lunch it was a 5 hour ride. Nice and cool. The traffic wasn't bad for a Sunday morning. Was an easy ride on the beltway around Washington D.C.
Headed west on I-70 up to Hagarstown MD. Needed gas and the sky's were getting dark. Had breakfast for lunch then decided I would gear up for the cold and rain... Good thing too. I hit rain just outside Hagarstown just as I merged onto I-68. Not bad though, just light stuff. Being the good Eagle Scout that I am, I had my full face helmet, leather and rain gear so all was well. If you look at I-68 on the map below you can tell that it is pretty twisty and curvy. Very fun to ride and sme beautiful mountain views..... Even in the rain!
Rode out of the rain just north of Morganstown WV... Traffic was too heavy and rain prevented me from getting the Welcome to WV sign, so I had to wait for another opportunity to get that. I did however make a turn north on Hwy 43 (whole nother story for that) and headed up to take a small slice do SW Pennsylvania. Although, there is no indication that Hwy 43 is a TOLL ROAD!!! Until you are on it... Sneaky bastards!! Anyway, I got the Pennsylvania sign and I can color in WV and PA on my map patch!
I rolled into Wheeling WV about 5:00.. And went up to the Oglebay Resort where I saw to stay for a week of Management Training... Will head home on Friday.. More to come after Friday's ride..



No comments:
Post a Comment