Friday... Woke up early at my friend Jeff's house ( no not the one I'm riding with my long time friend from Oklahoma). Biscuts and Gravy were waiting for us before we left. Jeff and his wife Monica are great friends and treated us like family.. We said our goodby's and headed east toward Talequah OK. When most people think of Oklahoma they think of dusty farm land with oil derricks and savage Indians... And there are parts that are like that, however the part of OK that we rode through today not many people know exists. We were entering the Ozark mountain foothills and turned north on hwy 10.. This little twisty, windy road follows the Illinois river up toward hwy 412 which will take us into NW Arkansas.. Along hwy 10 you could see the river in several places and it was swollen and rolling along quickly due to all the rain in the last few days. There were also sheer rock bluffs hanging over the road and wide open vistas between the valleys. It is a gorgeous ride. Even though it was sprinkling rain and a little too chilly for our taste, we still loved the Ride! Jeff was like a kid at Disney World, I kept having to slow down and let him catch up. He was too busy looking at stuff and not paying attention to the distance between us. Hwy 10 led us up to 412 and we turned east and headed for Arkansas.
I stopped at the "Welcome to Arkansas" sign but Jeff didn't see it and couldn't understand why I was stopping... Goofy ass old man.. I have stopped at every state line we crossed so Jeff can get a picture, except for TX only because I didn't see a sign and Tennessee because the sign was in the middle of the bridge over the Mississippi. So we got the picture at the AR sign and off we went. Just a short ride down 412 untill we got to Hwy 23 known as "The Pig Trail" this rode winds up to Eureka Springs for about 20 miles and was Super curvy, hilly with twistys and a great road surface... VERY fun ride!
While in Eureka Springs we met three guys from an online forum that both Jeff and I frequent. They all lived within 60 miles of Eureka and rode over to have lunch us at the Roadhouse. It is a great little biker friendly place right off the main tourist trap spots in Eureka. We spent too much time there just BSing Witt those guys talking about bikes, clubs, forums and rides, but it was great to hang out with those guys for a while. They took off back home and Jeff and I headed back into town. The pic below is of Wayne and I at the Roadhouse in Eureka Springs.
Stopped at Pig Trail Harley so Jeff could once again feed his addiction to the marketing beast that is Harley Davidson.. I think he only bought one T-shirt this time.. He is running out of space on his bike to carry all his shit.. And I'm not carrying his shit on my bike, so he's going to have to quit buying stuff. He's rivaled Karyn's spending habits this whole trip! Left Eureka about 2 hours later than I planned but who cares we are just out here to ride. We cruised down hwy 62 from Eureka to Mountain Home Ar and pulled into a Holiday Inn express just at dusk. We were cold and tired.. Time to stop. Got in the room and ordered a pizza... To tired to go looking for local flair.. Good night!

Jeff you are beginning to sound like Karyn with your shopping...LOL He wont run out of room Brian he has an empty back seat few bundee cords and a waterproof bag and he's good to go...oops dont let him read this till you get home...you will never make it back. All the great people you guys have meet along the way sounds so awesome. Has Jeff never gotten out of FL....sounds like he has limited travels...LOL Your an awesome leader Brian I already knew that but this trip makes me want to hit the road with you even more...start making plans for another outta state trip soon.... Miss you guys...travel safe and somebody needs to take all your pictures and make a movie...so the rest of us can enjoy the trip...movie night at your house Brian you have he big TV... I'll bring the munchies LOL
ReplyDeleteand I got another poker chip. I really shouldn't have bought 2 t-shirts in New Orleans.
ReplyDeleteI have had some limited excursions out of Florida but never west and I guess I was acting like a tourist a little bit. OK, a lot.