Day two!
Jeff slept as late as he wanted and I had been up for about 45 min. I put the coffee on at 4:30 and set his cup on the counter (cuz I'm not serving him,if he wants coffee he knows where it is). Checked the weather and started packing up the bikes. We also needed to make sure we left the condo in better shape than we found it... So, by 6am we woke the neighbors with the sweet sound of Two V-Twin's roaring to life. It was pretty foggy and the bikes were wet.. But we didn't let that slow us down. We headed out west toward Panama City.
Now, Jeff is pushing 60 y/o and never been west of Apalchiacola FL. so, at this point in the trip... Every millimeter we travel farther west just happens to the "The farthest west Jeff has ever been". Our plan is to ride up to I-10 and bypass Pensacola and Mobile, stop at the USS Alabama for the pics.. Then push on to New Orleans for lunch. The ride is planned to end at Natchez Ms, tonight.
The early ride this morning was slow going. Roads were wet and fog was THICK.. So week took it easy.. Wound our was up to Defuniack Springs for breakfast.. The "Corner Cafe" is pretty good eating. After that we decided to make up some lost time and hop up on I-10 and head west. Sun is up now and all the fog is burned off... Beautiful sunshine and light wind... Perfect weather to ride.
We made a few stops along the way... Pictures that follow this post will explain. One unplanned stop was at the rest area just outside Pensacola where a Blue Angel f4 is on display.. It's very cool! The USS Alabama was a quick stop.. Then we pushed on to Nawlins... We rolled in to New Orleans about 3pm and the wind had kicked up and the atmosphere seemed unstable. But didn't get rained on..
I had been to Nawlins a few times but Jeff obviously has not... He was like a Kid at the Carnival, he was rubber necking everything!. Had a nice "early supper" at The House of Blues.. Then wandered around the French Quarter and Street for a couple hours. No way we were making it to Natchez tonight.. Oh well, not a problem for us.
About 6:30 we left New Orleans and decided to make a short run up to Hammond LA, for the night. I mentioned to Jeff that I needed gas, I had about 75 miles on my current tank and had 55 miles to go... Not sure I'd make it. I assumed there would be a gas stop between where we were and our hotel... I was wrong.. It was 54 miles of bridges across the river deltas... So, about 25 miles away from our hotel, in the middle of a bridge over a swamp, my gas light came on. Wasn't sure I could make it but didn't have much choice. So, we pushed on.. Made it to civilization and a gas station on fumes... We are stopped for the night.. Just over 400 miles for the day.. We are tired, two long days of hard riding... But we are lovin it!
Tomorrow, Day 3 should be interesting... Lots of nasty, destructive weather out there right smack dab in the middle of where we are riding... Write more tomorrow... Good night!
I am loving this blog your doing a great job writing this Brian thanks so much I'm really enjoying this.
ReplyDeleteYou did warn Jeff that if it looks like a girl and smells like a girl. It mosy likely isn't - in the French quarter. Like virgin in hell walking the streets with Jeff there. Lol. With jeffy Smartass personality I'm shocked you made it out alive. Lol. God last time I was there I just turned 18. Memories that's all I'm gonna say lol
Oh that gas thing would have flipped me out. We need to car small tubes to siphon had from Jeff in these cases. He would share.
I have never been to the west either would GE rubber necking all the way sound like some awesome video shots though
Jeff rubber necking sounds strange. He usually is focused on the road...lol
ReplyDelete